If you ever wondered what goes on in the mind of a 25 year old...well you have come to the right place.
Monday, July 16, 2018
Messy Spirituality (if it's perfect..it's probably wrong)
This post (more specifically... this whole blog) will likely ruffle some feathers and that's fine my feathers were in disarray after I read it and dared to write it.
I've been reading this book called Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli and I wanted to share a bit about it. This book portrays God as a God who loves us in our imperfection. He knew that we would be imperfect, that we would sin, and that we would mess up...multiple times and then some more. The good news is that those mess ups wouldn't disqualify you from the genuine love of God. There is an example of God mercy and love towards us that I like to use. Have you ever seen a baby learn to walk? The parent starts off by holding the hands of the child and guiding them along and teaches them to take steps. Next, the parent moves a little bit beyond the child and allows them to attempt to walk on their own. Naturally, the child falls because they are still learning...but what parent would walk to that baby and start to yell and reprimand that child? No good parent would do that...because the child is LEARNING. Since, God is our heavenly Father he is just as gracious to us (Even for more veteran Christians the good news is that he isn't angry at you when you mess up either because you are still learning as well. )
So now, lets get real with each other for a moment. Being a "good christian" has given me anxiety because the idea of stripping myself of all sin, following all the commandments (and there are only ten...), being kind, turning the other cheek, not swearing, not lying, and so forth has me failing at basic Christianity before I even get out of bed in the morning. So, what does God say about this? I'll answer in scripture (my favorite part)
1. All that passing laws against sin did was produce more lawbreakers. But sin didn’t, and doesn’t, have a chance in competition with the aggressive forgiveness we call grace. When it’s sin versus grace, grace wins hands down. All sin can do is threaten us with death, and that’s the end of it. Grace, because God is putting everything together again through the Messiah, invites us into life—a life that goes on and on and on, world without end. Romans 5:20 MSG
2. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh. Romans 8:1-3 NIV
3. Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns?No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? Romans 8:33-35
Knowing that God has already decided to forgive us for our sins and love us aggressively despite our mess ups and our imperfections gives us room to fall in love with God simply for being awesome. It allows us to catch our breath and breathe in the fact that he is good and he is kind towards us. It gives us the room to enjoy this life and still be mindful of the fact that he isn't done with us because of failure. He doesn't toss us away like trash when things get a little messy.
Its important that we remember what Paul said in Romans 6, So what do we do? Keep on sinning so God can keep on forgiving? I should hope not! If we’ve left the country where sin is sovereign, how can we still live in our old house there? Or didn’t you realize we packed up and left there for good? That is what happened in baptism. When we went under the water, we left the old country of sin behind; when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace—a new life in a new land! Romans 6:1-3 MSG Knowing that God gave us a path away from sin and the muck and mire should push us to do better. But Grace and Mercy are our reminders that God is in love with us and can forgive us when we slip up.
I want to pray for you if you are struggling today.
Precious Father,
Your love is so pure and genuine that we will never be able to fully grasp it. That fact that you chose to forgive us and path redemption is unfathomable. You are exceedingly more than I could ever even begin to understand. I pray today for those that are wrestling with condemnation and guilt. I pray that you would bind up those emotions God and begin to whisper your words of forgiveness and redemption even now. I ask that you would allow those who feel like they are way to far away from you to begin to feel your refreshing love in a way that they never have before. God, do what only you can do. In Jesus Name,
Amen.
S/N: I'm always more than happy to pray with anybody who might be in need of prayer. I certainly don't have all the answers (as a matter of fact I don't know most of the answers) but I am more than happy to pray with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment