Friday, July 6, 2018

Overcoming Anxiety (once and for all)

Anxiety is defined as a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome. It has reared its ugly head in our lives time and time again... In my own life anxiety has been a daily struggle. Typically, anxiety sneaks in when we are concerned over matters that are beyond our pay grade and we have little means (if any at all) to fix them.  I often wonder if we believe the Bible the way we say we do.. It is a sin to worry and if worrying (aka ANXIETY) is sinful then to me that would mean that God doesn't want us to do it. 

1 Peter 5:7 (NIV) says, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 


Now, if you have been in church (even if for 5 minutes) you have likely heard this scripture. The question I asked myself today was how? How do I cast my cares? 


To cast means to throw something forcefully in a specific direction (that direction would be on God). Let's be honest, if it were in our power to control or fix wouldn't we have done it by now? So, why then should be spend time and energy rehearsing a problem that we can't figure out or solve in ourselves? Remember if we can't fix it, it's above our pay-grade and we need to cast it off. As soon as anxiety creeps in immediately tell it to God. 


Next, in Philippians 4:6-7 Paul and Timothy write, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 

It is with the peace of God that surpasses all of our understanding that we are able to resist anxiety. He tells not to be anxious for anything, but to pray and supplicate (which means to ask very earnestly) and his peace will guard not only our hearts but also our minds! 

If you are sure what to pray I'd like to include a prayer for you,

Dear Father,

You are truly a great God. You literally have all the answers! There is nothing you don't know and there is nothing you can't do! I can't solve any of the things I'm worried about God so would you please take over. I am giving you my worries right now God and I'm asking you to give me the peace that can surpass all understanding like you promised in Phillipians 4:6-7.

In Jesus Name! 

Thanks for Reading! -CDH


No comments:

Post a Comment